From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Persistent ulimit for daemons
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 15:50:37
1 On 08/01/12 11:27, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Is there a blessed method these days for setting the ulimit per-daemon?
4 >>
5 >> The best I've been able to do is a global setting in /etc/rc.conf:
6 >>
7 >> rc_ulimit="-s 1048576"
8 >>
9 >> The entries under /etc/security seem to be ignored when using
10 >> `/etc/init.d/foo start`.
11 >
12 > If you are willing to try, systemd allows you to set not only the
13 > limits for opened files, but also for basically every knob the Linux
14 > kernel has. And to set it per daemon (or unit, in systemd parlance),
15 > of course; for what you want, you would only need to set:
16 >
17 > LimitNOFILE=<limit>
18 >
19 > in the [Service] section of your unit. If you are interested, all the
20 > relevant documentation is in systemd.exec(5).
23 This is our mail filtering gateway, so I probably won't be willing to
24 try systemd until the next time we replace the hardware =)
25
26 That does sound extremely useful though. I'm planning on converting my
27 desktops after it gets a little bit more traction.