From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting minimal installer ISO on rx4640 and rx2660 fails
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:24:15
1 I've also seen such behavior when i've burnt a cd image to a dvd.  also the installer may have trouble with your' particular hardware.  what burner are you using and how is it connected (i.e. mother boards sata/pata interfaces, external usb, etc.).  also what motherboard are you using?  Have you burned a cd image to a dvd (sometimes that works, sometimes not, sometimes partially).  You might alternatively try to install off of a thumb drive with the appropriate image (again sometimes you can cheat, using an image meant for optical media written to a thumb drive and again, sometimes ok sometimes disaster).
4 Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
5 https://tutanota.com
6
7 17. Aug 2017 03:36 by frank.scheiner@×××.de:
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > I'm trying to boot my Itanium gear with the current minimal installer ISO [1] on CDROM but so far had no success at all. I also tested the oldest of the minimal installer ISOs [2] still available, also without success. For both my rx4640 and rx2660 I get the following output when trying to boot from the internal DVD (its access LED lights up shortly):
13 >
14 > ```
16 > Load of Internal Bootable DVD failed: Not Found
17 > Press any key to continue
18 > ```
19 >
20 > I've burned these ISOs with Brasero 3.10.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I can access the contents of the CDROMs there too. I could even extract the included kernel and initrd (and include the squashfs image) - following and slightly adapting the howto on [3] for Itanium - and boot them, but sadly couldn't get to the point where I could start the installation process. I either did something wrong during the extraction and creation process of initrd and initrd plus squashfs image, or the howto does not work as intended for Itanium machines.
21 >
22 > The machines seem to work correctly using a Debian Wheezy based NFS root and were also able to boot the Debian 7.11 installer ISO on DVD for Itanium without an issue though, hence I don't think this is a problem of the machines or their DVD drives.
23 >
24 > Does anybody have an idea, what could be wrong? And can somebody confirm that these ISOs - when burned to CDROMs - work on rx4640 or rx2660 or similar machines?
25 >
26 > Cheers,
27 > Frank
28 >