From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The X11-trap: Once back on textconsole...and no one comes back ever...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:59:25
1 I did have to redo my kernel config almost completely with the 4.4.0 release.
2 I did:
3 make mrproper #cleans eveything up
4 make defconfig #basic x86_64 config
5 make xconfig #custom configs (needs qt)
6
7 The new kernel (informed by the old 4.3.3 config) booted and ran the first time,
8 but I got a lockup after the first screen timeout (nothing would wake
9 up the video)
10 and I netted in and did a "shutdown -r now" followed by a rebuild of
11 all the kernel
12 dependent packages (there are about 24 in my mix).
13
14 Since that, I have not had a problem. I suspect that perhaps there are enough
15 changes in the 4.4.0 kernel that glib and sone of the others need a rebuild.
16
17 I have a little script that scans the installed package db to find
18 everything that
19 references the kernel and linux-headers eclasses and rebuilds them. There are
20 one or two packages in that list that don't strictly need a rebuild
21 (e.g. google-chrome-beta)
22 but with time to spare I just let emerge go-to-town with everything.
23 (I scan the INHERETED files for linux-info and linux-mod to make a
24 temp set for emerge.)
25
26 With new kernel versions being tracked ell the time, this little trick
27 has cured lots of ills since
28 I wrote it in 2013. I've posted it once (I think) but I'll do so
29 again in a few minutes on a new thread.
33 G.Wolfe Woodbury
34 redwolfe@×××××.com