From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:31:31
1 Hi Florian,
2 on Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:29:07PM +0200, you wrote:
3 > Note1: NEVER EVER build some kind of RAID other than "Linear" (also called
4 > JBOD) over two IDE disks on the same cable. Performance will suffer greatly
5 > as will security because most simple onboard controllers can't handle a
6 > dying disk and that one might take the other one with it into death.
7
8 Your suggestions sound reasonable (as reasonable as you get if one
9 insists on going with the drives that are there instead of getting a
10 third 500G drive that is :) [and for RAID5 I'd add a cheapish SATA
11 controller as well]) but I wonder why the above should be better than a
12 RAID0. The risk is the same---if either disk dies, the partition is
13 fuct. And considering drive mechanics are still the slowest part of the
14 system, even two EIDE disks that tend fight for the bus should be a tad
15 faster when striped than any one alone, which is what you effectively
16 get in a JBOD, right?
17
18 cheers,
19 Matthias
22 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
23 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665