From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] mounting screws
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:59:03
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2022.02.20 16:05, Dale wrote:
3 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >> > Hello list,
5 >> >
6 >> > This has nothing to do with Gentoo, but I don't know where else to
7 >> ask.
8 >> >
9 >> > I have a couple of vertically mounted easy-swap disk caddies in the
10 >> back of my
11 >> > workstation, and I'm having trouble finding screws to mount the
12 >> disk in the
13 >> > caddy. Clearance is nil, so the screws must be countersunk so they
14 >> aren't
15 >> > proud of the surface. They seem to be m3 perhaps 5mm long.
16 >> >
17 >> > I just can't find any via Google. Can anyone in UK please help out?
18 >> >
21 >> I'll add this just to show how confusing this is.  My old DVD burner and
22 >> new Blu-ray burner uses a different screw than the hard drives.  Luckily
23 >> my case has slots for hard drives but my external enclosures require
24 >> screws which is how I know they are different.  Some will work fine with
25 >> what looks like a bolt head while others, like yours, require a counter
26 >> sunk screw head that sits flat.  Generally, the local home type stores
27 >> don't have any of this either.  I checked my local Lowes once.  They
28 >> have tiny screws but either the head is wrong, the threads, length or
29 >> something.
30 >>
31 >> It is annoying.  I ended up getting two types of screws.  One that fits
32 >> my DVD/Blu-ray drive and one that fits a hard drive, so far at least.  I
33 >> mostly have WD and Seagate.  Some other brand may have something
34 >> different.  The one I have that seems to work best is this:  6/32 6-32
35 >> 6#-32  I put all the combinations of that just in case.  The most common
36 >> is 6-32 but could vary by website.  Your mileage may vary tho.
37 >>
38 >> My advice, buy a grab bag of hardware for puters.  Then pray.  Or, find
39 >> what should fit, even if it is more than one type, order them all.  I
40 >> have collected a storage bin full of screws over the years.  I got case
41 >> type screws covered but drives seem to be different.
42 >>
43 >> Why can't they pick one screw type and make it the standard???
44 > But that's the great thing about  standards - there are so many of
45 > them.  (https://xkcd.com/927/ which I think has been posted here before)
46 >>
47 >> Hope that helps.
48 >>
49 >> Dale
50 > Have you tried asking at a local PC shop?  They might just hand you a
51 > few from the piles on their workbench.
55 I don't have any close to me.  Closest one is about 75 miles or so from
56 here.  I've been there a couple times but don't find myself close enough
57 to just drop by.  As it is now, I've got plenty.  I ordered 100 of a few
58 types and even if I only ever use one type, that's enough to last me a
59 good while.
60
61 Good idea if one has a puter store close by tho.
62
63 Dale
64