From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:40:02
1 On Saturday 27 November 2010, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > Volker,
3 >
4 > > Even my rig - hotter, doesn't reach 300W when I artificially torture the
5 > > system. Normal 'max' load is in 200W range. An normal desktop? Under 100.
6 >
7 > OK -- just to find out the truth I've attached a kill-a-watt to my current
8 > workstation which is ~4yrs old w/ slow cpu and ancient video card but
9 > has been upgraded w/ 7 SATA Drives:
10 >
11 > Idle - ~285W
12 > Light Use (emerge --sync) - ~310W
13 > Kernel Compile w/ video app running and minor torture- ~340W
14
15 4 year old = sucks a lot of energy. A modern cpu, a modern chipset and a
16 modern card uses a lot LESS energy idle AND under load than 4,5 year old stuff.
17 You can go down as 60-70W desktop usage with a small EE amd cpu and a gigabyte
18 board with onboard graphics. With a little bit of tuning even less.