From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] binary packages: how to ...
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 10:38:57
1 On 07/15/20 07:01, Andreas Fink wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Searching for -bin does not help to find binary only packages. Two more
4 > examples, which are binary only:
5 > zoom, skypeforlinux
6 >
7 > Searching for -bin mostly (if not always) implies that there would be a
8 > possibility to compile it from source.
9 >
10 > In my experience so far, every binary-only package does not have an open
11 > source license. So mostly you'll hit a license issue and you have to
12 > accept the license (/etc/portage/package.license) before you will be
13 > able to merge the package. Any license issue should start make you
14 > thinking what is going on, since it is a potential binary-only package.
15 > Installation of these packages is inhibited by emerge, because you have
16 > to accept the license first ;)
17 > When I look into my /etc/portage/package.license file I get a good idea
18 > of which packages are binary only. Not all of them are pure binary
19 > packages, but it is a superset as far as I can tell.
20 >
21 > To conclude: You cannot find out if a package is binary only with
22 > emerge. You have to do the research yourself, but
23 > /etc/portage/package.license is a good starting point to find potential
24 > candidates.
25 >
26 > Cheers
27 > Andreas
31 Yes, the license issue came up, and I pavlov-wise put the exception in.
32 I repressed the suspicion that I shouldn't be doing that.
33
34 Thank you.
35
36 Is there an open-source way to view the contents of a rar archive?