From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to swap on a diskless host
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:35:54
1 On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:05:14 +0200
2 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:59:23 -0500
7 > Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
8 >
9 > > I know swapon doesn't work on regular files, so to add my swap I
10 > > need to first use losetup to set up /dev/loop0 as my swap device.
11 > > Then swapon /dev/loop0 works. but how can I enable swap on loop0
12 > > before the initscripts boot (right now I have it done in
13 > > local.start). Don't I need to be able to mount the swap as swap
14 > > right away to resume from it? Or will it be enought to specify the
15 > > location? If not, is there some way to specify loop settings at
16 > > boot time, on the kernel command line?
17 >
18 > Check out userspace suspend (http://suspend.sf.net/). It's not in
19 > portage, but will do what you want since you can resume from an
20 > initrd. In the initrd, you can open a network connection, mount all
21 > that stuff (you never told where that looped file is located, so I
22 > guess it's on r/w NFS) and then resume. It's not implemented at the
23 > moment, I think, but should be easy to add ("remote suspending" is
24 > mentioned as an "easy" possibility).
25 >
26 > -hwh
27 Interesting and helpful, thanks.
28 --