From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] opinions & know-how requested: how to create a mail cluster
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:10:46
1 daniel wrote:
2 > My boss wants me to create a bunch of mail relays to capture and relay mail
3 > sent to us and discard spam etc, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd like
4 > to use exim unless you all have a better idea. To be honest, at the moment,
5 > I'm not sure where to start.
6 >
7 > Here's a simple diagram that might help you understand what it is we want to
8 > do (fixed width font will help):
9 >
10 > [SMTP] [SMTP] [SMTP] [SMTP]
11 > | | | |
12 > +---------+----+---+---------+
13 > |
14 > [SMTP+POP3]
15 >
16 > Each of the SMTP servers have different routeable IPs and are linked together
17 > via a RoundRobin DNS. Their sole purpose would be to check mail being sent
18 > to them against a list of known users @ourdomain.com and possibly filter spam
19 > as well. Messages that satisfy the filter would then be forwarded to the
20 > main mail server where we would all pick up our mail with our various email
21 > clients.
22 >
23 > So at the moment, my main issues are:
24 >
25 > - How do I replicate the user list from the master to the satellites?
26 > - What MTA should I use on the satellites and how would I configure it?
27 >
28 > I don't even know if "cluster" is the right word since whenever I google for
29 > it, i run into references to LVS and Beowulf clustering which is not what I
30 > need.
31 >
32 > Any help and/or opinions/suggestions would be greatly apprecated.
35 I'm a Postfix guy, so these are Postfix How-tos. I'd imagine you can
36 probably do the same in Exim or any other MTA with a bit of googling now
37 that you've seen the concept.
38
39 Creating a recipent table on the front end servers
40 http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/postfix-exchange-users.html
41 This how-to assume you have a Postfix server that relays to an internal
42 Exchange server. Their method isn't super fancy, but does work. You may
43 want to look into the LDAP stuff or using a DB query if you store your
44 users in one.
45
46 http://sqlgrey.bouton.name/
47 Greylisting for Postfix. I personally use Postgrey (which is in
48 Portage), but will probably switch to sqlgrey at some point in the
49 future. Greylisting kills a very large amount of spam before it makes
50 into your queues or gets processes by CPU intensive content filters.
51 However you MUST have a central greylist backend if you have multiple
52 front ends or you'll bouncing mail or have very long delivery times.
53 Made that mistake myself.
54
55 http://www.postfix.org/docs.html
56 Lots of good how-tos here.
57
58 http://high5.net/postfixadmin/
59 Virtual mail system around Postfix/Mysql/Courier. Includes a very nice
60 front end for managing domains, aliases, users, etc. I recently moved my
61 old virtual system over to this.
62 I'm guessing you already have a smtp/pop3 system and are just looking
63 to front end it with some other servers, but thought I'd throw this out
64 there anyway.
65
66 I'm curious about how large of system you're planning to have. You may
67 want to consider using shared storage with 3-4 servers that all do
68 smtp/smtp-relay/pop3/spam filtering/etc. That way you have better
69 overall availibility though again that depends on what sort of backend
70 you have or are planning to build.
71
72 kashani
73 --