From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: why a manual dhcpcd eth0 is needed?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 18:21:00
1 On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:13:53 -0400
2 Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/22/2011 02:18 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > On 10/22/2011 08:08 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Hello,
8 > >>
9 > >> On a recent gentoo install using wicd for network configuration, no
10 > >> connection is established during boot. After logging in, I need to
11 > >> issue
12 > >>
13 > >> dhcpcd eth0
14 > >>
15 > >> to obtain an IP address and access the internet via ethernet. I
16 > >> thought wicd would take care of that. I did not emerge dhcpcd, it
17 > >> was emerged as a dependency of wicd.
18 > >>
19 > >> What am I missing? I have wicd starting during the boot runlevel.
20 > >
21 > > You probably don't have a correct /etc/conf.d/net file. Try:
22 > >
23 > > modules="dhcpcd"
24 > > config_eth0="dhcp"
27 > I have other gentoo laptops/machines and I typically leave this file
28 > empty. They all work with wicd in wired and wireless mode.
29
30 Correct.
31
32 wicd does not use /etc/conf.d/net at all, it has it's own mechanisms.
33
34 /etc/conf.d/net is used by the Gentoo network scripts, an entirely
35 different thing from wicd
41 Alan McKinnnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com