From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cacti vs JFFNMS
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:04:27
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm searching for a new network management system (tired of MRTG) that will
4 allow for the management of systems, routers, and various SNMP(1-3) devices.
5 JFFNMS and Cacti are the closest packages I have found. Cacti is implemented as
6 an ebuild, while JFFNMS lists an ebuild as a 'todo' item. JFFNMS can also be
7 ran on top of postgresql, for aggressive and large backend database
8 installations.
9
10 Installation aside, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either
11 ofthese 2 packages, what you like/dislike and why. If you have q heterogeneous
12 device management software package, that you feel is better than either JFFNMS
13 or Cacti, then I'd like to know 'why' it's better, and how difficult is it to
14 set up.
15
16 Nagios gets pretty good reviews, and I like the HVAC (heating ventilation & air
17 conditioning) hack via Esensors even though it is SOLD and not Opensource.
18 However, Nagios is just now moving to php on top of rrdtools, so it's gui is
19 likely to be in flux for a year or two.
20
21 What do you use and why is it wonderful?
25 James
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list