From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WLAN performance
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:55:49
1 ahh, marketing. Some people will believe anything!
2
3 Check the table at
4 http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/08/08/wireless_throughput.html
5
6 or numerous other guides courtesy of google. This shows that maximum
7 throughput is roughly 27Mb/s for 54g, but in my experience its much less
8 in the real world.
9
10 Note that configuring a card for 54mb/s is the maximum - unless you are
11 quite close (distance wise), have little interference and dont have a
12 busy 802.11b on the same AP, you are not even going to see a 54, but a
13 fallback. And I think encryption will clip it even further if you are
14 using that (as you should be!)
15
16 BillK