From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Your earliest "ooh, shiny" (was: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 04:53:47
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 >
3 > Our 286 (that Tandy) came with a 20MB hard disk. The 386 I got as a
4 > hand-me-down had a 540MB disk. (That was a bit of a golden age for me;
5 > I never managed to fill that drive.)
6
7 I had twice the storage. My 286 had a 40MB hard disk. It also had 1MB of
8 memory but only 640KB was accessible to the system without a memory
9 mapping hack.
10
11 It ran MSDOS 3.1. (Ah! the late '80s)
12
13 Gee I had a lot of fun on that machine. I could connect via 1200 baud
14 modem from my home to the university VAX-VMS and use the VAX Wordperfect
15 wordprocessor to do my course work and then send it to the University
16 printer, which produced beautiful results.
17
18 I wouldn't go back though! I love my HP quadcore laptop running Gentoo.
21 Regards,
22 Gregory.