From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PATA vs SATA kernel driver (was: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:36:50
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > On 01/09/2013 10:01 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support **(DEPRECATED)**
4 >>
5 > Yes, I know it is unmaintained and deprecated, I'm looking for a
6 > rational reason to move to the SATA driver when the PATA one works well
7 > with my old drives. The PATA drives are probably going to die before the
8 > PATA driver is moved out of the kernel (if ever) so I might as well wait
9 > for the switch till I need new hardware, or not?
10 >
11 > raffaele
15 The drivers are NOT maintained IS the reason. What if there is some
16 sort of bug that you do not know about? That bug is not going to be
17 fixed because you are not using the correct drivers. They have not been
18 updated for at least 8 or 9 years. You really think nothing has been
19 improved in that time? That no bugs have been found? What if they drop
20 it from the kernel? Are you going to stop upgrading the kernel too? At
21 some point, you are going to have to update this.
22
23 If it was a recent change, then it may be less risky. Given the amount
24 of time it has not been maintained, you are just asking for trouble,
25 whatever that may be.
26
27 Dale
28
32 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!