From: "Fabian Köster" <koesterreich@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xinerama USE-flag needed for KDE 4.1 and xrandr?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:12:51
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 I would like to setup a dual-head desktop using X.org 7.4 and KDE 4.1.2.
4
5 I successfully achieved to configure my dual-head setup using xrandr.
6
7 Basically it looks like this:
8
9 xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of LVDS
10
11 The VGA-0 screen's resolution is 1680x1050, the notebook-display is 1400x1050.
12
13 As said before this works fine but KDE 4.1.2 treats the two screens as one
14 single screen so the panel is centered in the middle of the overall-desktop
15 and windows maximize over both screens. (See screenshot
16 http://koesterreich.de/gentoo/screenshots/big-desktop.png)
17
18 The desired behavior is that the panel is just on one screen (optionally more
19 panels on the second) and the windows only maximize on the screen they are
20 currently located.
21
22 Do I have to compile KDE (and maybe other packages) using the 'xinerama' USE-
23 flag? In that case I would say this is confusing because I think that xinerama
24 is deprecated and I would suggest to rename it to something like "multi-head".
25
26 If it is of interest: I have a ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 and addressed by the
27 'radeon' driver.
28
29 Regards,
30 Fabian