From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choose a wireless access point
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 07:47:20
1 On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:16:10 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > On 5/4/22 07:09, Michael wrote:
4 > > On Monday, 4 April 2022 16:12:53 BST Jack wrote:
5 > >> On 4/4/22 01:31, William Kenworthy wrote:
6 > >>> Is there a way force openrc and wpa_supplicant to map a particular
7 > >>> access point to an interface or fail?
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I have two AP's (each on a different ssid) to connect to so have two
10 > >>> wifi interfaces - unfortunately they are not equal so I want wlan0
11 > >>> to connect to only one particular AP, and wlan1 to the other ...
12 > >>> reliably! I can manually force it to connect but invariably at the
13 > >>> first glitch they both end up connected to the same AP (usually the
14 > >>> strongest which is often not what I want :(
15 > >>>
16 > >>> BillK
17 > >> I don't know about wpa-supplicant, but I'm using open-rc and KDE, and
18 > >> KDE's systemsettings Network / Connections screen lets you restrict a
19 > >> network connection so a specific device. Not sure if this helps you
20 > >> any, but it would indicate that what you want is possible.
21 > >>
22 > >> Jack
23 > > Look at the example provided in:
24 > >
25 > > /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.7.3/net.example.bz2
26 > >
27 > > You can set a different ssid for each wireless NIC. The
28 > > wpa_supplicant can be set with credentials for the two APs only.
29 >
30 > Unfortunately, this does not work as I want ...wpa_supplicant's
31 > behaviour makes sense in that it provides a fallback if the allocated
32 > access point cant connect ... it will pick the next available one
33 > (seemingly based on signal strength) if it is in its conf file (and
34 > does not care that its another ssid) - so it does not fail.  As only
35 > one of the two networks has internet access the device often ends up
36 > not being able to be connected to (its headless so that's a problem!).
37 >
38 > I have fallen back to openrc for the main connection and will do the
39 > other manually - it would be nice to have everything properly
40 > controlled but its not working for me.
41
42 Could you run two instances of wpa_suplicant, each listening on a
43 different interface and using a config with only the AP for that
44 interface?
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is in
51 trouble again