From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any newer Gentoo install CDs?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:38:11
1 On Jan 7, 2008 12:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
5 > > BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
6 > > get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
7 > > blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.
8 > >
9 > This laptop is similar, Vista won't boot with AHCI enabled. I guess
10 > Windows just doesn't like standards :(
11 >
12 > > Possibly XP might work if it installed with AHCI enabled but
13 > > typical of Windows it doesn't like configuration changes after it's
14 > > installed.
15 > >
16 > > Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
17 > > going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
18 > > to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot.
19 >
20 > You only need to use AHCI to boot the install CD. Then you can build a
21 > kernel with drivers for your SATA controller for the installed system.
24 Thanks Neil. That's very reasonable and I'll give it a try.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Mark
28 --