From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gcc compiling, is this normal?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 06:45:57
1 On 12/05/2013 23:37, David Relson wrote:
2 >> [1] The logic goes something like this: it's a compiler, so the code
3 >> > it produces must be consistently identical for identical inputs. So,
4 >> > the current compiler builds gcc, giving version Y built by version X.
5 >> > That instance of gcc in turn builds a gcc, giving version Y built by
6 >> > version Y.
7 > Haven't you left out the third compile?
8 >
9 > Let me rephrase the 3 builds.
10 >
11 > 1) gcc-X builds gcc-Y giving gcc-Y1
12 > 2) gcc-Y1 builds gcc-Y giving gcc-Y2
13 > 3) gcc-Y2 builds gcc-Y giving gcc-Y3
14 >
15 > gcc-Y1 and gcc-Y2 are likely to be different (since they were build by
16 > gcc-X and gcc-Y which are likely to have optimizations).
17 >
18 > gcc-Y2 and gcc-Y3 should be identical (since both were built by gcc-Y)
19 >
20 >> >
21
22 Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks for that.
23
24 Like I said, I'm fuzzy on the details after all these years. My
25 intention was not to be completely accurate and correct, it was more to
26 get the general idea across to Dale
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com