From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 13:17:57
1 Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2012, 03:47:09 schrieb Dale:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
5 > videos on, eventually. The prices are coming down now. I keep seeing
6 > these "green" drives that are made by just about every company nowadays.
7 > When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up as good?
8 > Are they as dependable as a plain drive? I guess they are more
9 > efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often or no
10 > difference?
11 >
12 > I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper. That much
13 > I have figured out. Other than that, I can't see any other difference.
14 > Data speeds seem to be about the same.
15 >
16 > Please, no brand wars. I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
17 > brand. I haven't picked that part yet. So far, I have had good luck
18 > with drives. I think I have one doorstop so far. I have at least one
19 > of each of the brands above too. Don't jinx me. I'm sure someone has a
20 > horror story about some brand.
21 >
22 > Thanks much.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
27
28 samsung here. Put that beast into an esata case. Sometimes I forget to turn it
29 off, because it is so silent. And cool. The others should be similar. They are
30 slower, yes, but fast enough to watch video.
31
32 7200 for stuff that needs some speed.
33 5400 for video and backups.
34
35 just fine.
38 #163933