From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel bug?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:31:02
1 On 07/14/2014 05:18 PM, Gmail wrote:
2 > Hi, i've upgraded kernel from 3.12.13 to 3.12.20.
3 > I've make a oldconfig as usual, but with new kernel the boot blocks at
4 > the begining to the ramdisk loading.
5 > I've tried with other 3.12.2x with the same negative results.
6 > I use grub2 with systemd.
7 >
8 Is your '/usr' partition housed on a filesystem of its own, or does it
9 reside on the '/' partition?
10
11 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/HOWTO
12 "For systems where all necessary files and tools reside on the same file
13 system, the |init| application can perfectly control the further boot
14 process. But when multiple file systems are defined (or more exotic
15 installations are done), this might become a bit more tricky:
16
17 * When the /usr partition is on a separate file system, tools and
18 drivers that have files stored within /usr cannot be used unless
19 /usr is available. If those tools are needed to make /usr available,
20 then we cannot boot up the system.
21
22 * If the root file system is encrypted, then the Linux kernel will not
23 be able to find the |init| application, resulting in an unbootable
24 system.
25
26 The solution for this problem has since long been to use an /initrd/
27 (initial root device)."
28
29 Did you run a diff on your 3.12.13/.config and 3.12.13/.config, to make
30 sure you didn't overlook anything to do with the systemd-related config
31 options?