From: Rodrigo Forlin <forlin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Touchscreens under linux
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:37:47
1 Iain Buchanan wrote this:
2 > On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 22:29 +0200, Timo Boettcher wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I understand correctly, the touchscreen is (if used correctly) just
5 >> another way to control the mouse pointer. Is that right?
6 >
7 > yes. when you touch, the mouse moves to, and clicks at that location.
8 > You usually have an option to use right clicks. Depending on the
9 > driver, dragging and other more complicated mouse features may be a bit
10 > more tricky. Similar to using a touchpad.
11 >
12 > Some newer tablet PC's (ie. Toshiba, not sure about others) actually
13 > have a special pen which moves the mouse without touching the screen -
14 > you just hover over the screen and the mouse moves, then touch to get a
15 > click.
16 >
17 >> Do I have to use X to use the touchscreen, or can I use it with gpm or
18 >> SDL?
19 >
20 > nope, AFAIR it will work like any mouse. There's not much you can do
21 > without X though is there? Unless you have a keyboard, and then why not
22 > have a mouse as well?
23 >
24 > HTH,
25
26 I'm having problems with a tsharc touch screen, The company says
27 that it has support for linux and command line, but it does not work on
28 xorg 7.x, since their driver is in .o format instead of .so, I made the
29 shared lib (.so) based on their object file but X complains about not
30 finding a ModuleData data object, instead of the ModuleInit function.
31 I'm keepping in touch with them to make this work.
32
33 I could make it work under X with the evdev driver, but with
34 calibration problems.
35
36 I used gpm with evdev driver too, checked the events with mev and
37 detected that the events are being recognized, but the mouse is always
38 at position 50,18, it doesn't move.
39
40 I'm also working on a embedded system with no X. I'm writing
41 everything with fbdev, and libgpm. I'm also interested in a
42 onscreen-keyboard.
43
44 So, if you're going to use touchscreens, Don't make the same
45 mistakes and make sure that is has mature drivers. I'm working to make
46 the tsharc driver ok, and depending on the hampshire company answers
47 i'll rate it as linux friendly or M$ company :)
48
49 HTH,
50
51 Rodrigo Forlin