From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel modules and security
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:23:08
1 On 2019-03-22, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Years ago, in the days of Yggdrasil I think,
4
5 Wow, that triggers a flashback! My first Linux install was Yggdrasil,
6 and it took _hours_ to boot. The smartasses at Yggdrasil insisted on
7 trying to play an audio clip that said something like "Welcome to
8 Yggdrasil" on startup. My machine didn't have an audio card, so the
9 fallback was to try to play it by bit-banging the normal PC speaker
10 that was connected to a PIO pin. It would sit there clicking the damn
11 speaker trying to play the audio clip for most of the afternoon before
12 it would continue the startup. I installed a different distro as soon
13 as I could get hold of one...
14
15 > the received wisdom was that enabling kernel module loading was a
16 > bad idea because an attacker might be able to load malicious
17 > software directly into the kernel. No modules --> one more attack
18 > route closed.
19
20 If an atacker can write to your /lib/modules directory, he's got root
21 and all is lost: he can just as easily write to your /boot directory
22 or anything else, so I don't see why there's any additional risk.
23
24 Unless you're talking about loading kernel modules from a flash drive
25 you found on the sidewalk... that's definitly a Bad Idea(tm).
26
27 > What is the current thinking on this topic? I'm not trolling; I'd
28 > like to know which way to go with a new box.
29
30 On Gentoo machines, I usually configure the driver with built-in drivers
31 for what I need and run mostly module-free except for...
32
33 $ lsmod
34 Module Size Used by
35 nvidia_drm 40960 1
36 nvidia_modeset 1007616 2 nvidia_drm
37 nvidia 13877248 117 nvidia_modeset
40 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Did I do an INCORRECT
41 at THING??
42 gmail.com