From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how can I everr switch to profile 17.1?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 16:20:55
1 On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:07 PM Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/18/2019 05:43:55 PM, John Covici wrote:
4 > > It would seem impossible for me to switch to profile 17.1. I say this
5 > > because I can never run emerge --depclean . I have a few packages
6 > > which will not compile and one not in the tree anymore. the packages
7 > > which will not compile are mono-4.4.1.0 and totem-3.30 -- I have filed
8 > > bugs against both of them. Inn no longer configures and I have
9 > > discussed this in another thread. So, where can I go with this? I
10 > > hate to just go forward, although these packages look they don't have
11 > > any lib32 dependencies. Wat do you thihnk about this?
14 > I haven't run emerge --depclean. I have re-emerge gcc / glibc and all
15 > packages with
16 > files /usr/lib32 and /lib32 and some more which I don't remember.
17
18 If you're unable to run --depclean (not necessarily if you just
19 haven't run it recently), you could run into problems, sometime,
20 probably not a convenient time.
21
22 You don't HAVE to run it to do the migration, but I'd suggest
23 generally cleaning things up first, because it makes it less likely
24 that you'll run into issues, and it might reduce the time required to
25 migrate.
26
27 If you CAN'T run --depclean I'd definitely stop and fix whatever is
28 wrong, otherwise you could run into issues during the migration, when
29 they might be harder to resolve.
30
31 > On the other hand I don't see such a big advantage of profile 17.1.
32 > I have several (64 bit) packages (in my local portage tree) which still
33 > install into /usr/lib
34 > although this folder is now the replacement of the old /usr/lib32.
35
36 The advantages are more around bringing Gentoo into better alignment
37 with all the other distros and making packages more maintainable in
38 the long-term.
39
40 If packages are sticking 64-bit libraries in /usr/lib then I would
41 file a bug, if there isn't already one open. There are known packages
42 that don't work with 17.1.
43
44 There isn't really a reason to rush into this, but long-term support
45 for 17.0 will get dropped, so you will have to migrate, eventually. I
46 would try to find a convenient time to do it.
47
48 As far as --depclean issues go, it would be more helpful if we
49 actually had details around the issues...
52 Rich