From: "Johám-Luís Miguéns Vila" <galiza.ceive@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] supported mp3 players (hardware)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:42:20
1 On 16:38 Fri 16 Jun , Alan wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 01:04:37AM +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
3 > >
4 > > > Both banshee and rhythmbox support mostly or will soon support fully
5 > > > the ipod :)
6 > >
7 > > Apple hard and software players don't support ogg vorbis,
8 > > and that's why Apple simply sucks. Sorry, I'm usually not a guy of harsh
9 > > words, but take care about teh file formats you use. Will you be able
10 > > to playback your music bought in the Apple shop if they decide to
11 > > discontinue their audio hard- and software?
12 >
13 > I don't have an ipod so I have no experience, but there is a 3rd party
14 > firmware hack that replaces the ipod firmware and supports flac/ogg/etc
15 > and adds nifty things.
16
17 Depending on which ipod generation, they're two great options:
18
19 - Rockbox. Open source firmware: allows you to play many file formats (flac, ogg, mp3...), play doom, gameboy games... etc. You can add songs just with "cp", there's no need to go thru libgpod (of course you can do it so, to be able to keep on using apple firmware... on rockbox, just use the tagcache feature). That's what I'm using with my 5G. I find the GUI much more attractive and informative (especially using pjulius builds and wps: various patches including audioscrobbler support, album art...). There's no video playback.
20
21 - IpodLinux. The aim is to be able to run an open source operating system on the device.
22
23 With both you keep the apple firmware and can choose firmwares with a bootloader.
24
25 http://www.ipodlinux.org
26
27 http://www.rockbox.org
28
29 http://forums.rockbox.org
32 cheers
33
34 P.S.: Sorry, my english sucks a lot...
35
36 > That said, everything I have is mp3 or flac transcoded to mp3 for
37 > playback on my crappy old rio cali :)
38 >
39 > --
40 > Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
42 --
43 A ouvir (mpd): Franz Liszt - Litanies de Marie (first version), S171e (1846\\7)
44 - GPG KeyID:0x9D2FD6C8