From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Will profile 17.0 break 3rd party binaries?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 03:07:41
1 On 2017-12-05, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2017-12-05, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 2017-12-05 00:05, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> > There are a number of third-party binary executables that I use
6 >>> > regularly on my Gentoo systems.
7 >>> > [...]
8 >>> > Is switching to the new 17.0 profile likely to break them?
9 >>>
10 >>> Good question. I've been using a pie-enabled gcc 7.2 for months
11 >>> before the 17.0 profile switch and both acroread and skype (the
12 >>> new one) still work, so chances are your stuff will too.
13 >>
14 >> Years ago when I used acroread I found it quite irritating that it
15 >> came with its own bundled gtk and pretty much everything else. If
16 >> it's still that way it's probably the reason why it is unaffected
17 >> by the change.
18 >>
19 >> I don't know if Grant's binaries are of similar persuasion.
20 >
21 > No, they depend on the host environment for all libraries that are
22 > not unique to the application: libc, libstdc++, Qt, gtk, xml,
23 > crypto, ssl, etc.
24
25 FWIW, I finished rebuilding world w/ 17.0 over the weekend, and it
26 looks like my third-party binaries all work the same as they did
27 before. That's what I expected based on my understanding of the PIE
28 change: it didn't change the ABI or the way dynamic library linkage
29 worked.
30
31 I did have to grab the qtwebkit:4 ebuild out of the attic, but that's
32 apparently still working too.
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Of course, you
36 at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS
37 gmail.com in the SPIN CYCLE --