From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any .config for vbox gentoo guest
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 21:08:37
1 On 02/08/2013 01:13, walt wrote:
2 > On 08/01/2013 03:08 PM, Kerin Millar wrote:
3 >> On 30/07/2013 22:04, walt wrote:
4 >>> On 07/29/2013 06:29 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>>> Can anyone post a .config for a 3.8.13 kernel that is known to work on
6 >>>> a vbox install of gentoo as guest.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Working on a fresh install but don't have gentoo running anywhere to
9 >>>> rob a .config from.
10 >>>
11 >>> This one worked for me.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> <snip>
15 >>
16 >> This config is missing various options that would significantly enhance kernel performance in its capacity as a guest.
17 >>
18 >> For core paravirtualization support:
19 >>
20 >> CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST
21 >> CONFIG_KVM_CLOCK
22 >> CONFIG_KVM_GUEST
23 >>
24 >> For virtio support:
25 >>
26 >> CONFIG_VIRTIO
27 >> CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI
28 >> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK
29 >> CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO
30 >> CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET
31 >>
32 >> For the scsi/net virtio drivers to work in the guest, qemu must be started with the appropriate options. Further details can be found here:
33 >>
34 >> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio
35 >
36 > Thanks Kerin. I don't know about Harry, but I'm no expert in virtualization.
37 >
38 > Just to clarify: I know that virtualbox and kvm are both extensions of qemu,
39 > but not exactly identical to each other. Would those same kernel options be
40 > useful in virtualbox as well as kvm/qemu?
41
42 KVM allows for hardware-assisted virtualization via Intel VT-d or AMD-V
43 extensions. Without KVM, qemu is terribly slow. Collectively, the kernel
44 options that I mentioned would entail the use of KVM.
45
46 Regarding VirtualBox, it does support a virtio-net type ethernet adapter
47 so you would certainly benefit from enabling CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET in a guest.
48
49 I'm not entirely certain as to where VirtualBox stands with regard to
50 PVOPS support [1] but it would probably also help to enable
51 CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST (even though there are no directly applicable
52 sub-options).
53
54 --Kerin
55