From: brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA and RAID
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:30:05
1 Thank you both for the comments. This helps.
2 >
3 > From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
4 > Date: 2005/09/22 Thu AM 01:42:20 EDT
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > CC: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA and RAID
8 >
9 > Am Donnerstag, den 22.09.2005, 00:59 -0400 schrieb Ron Bickers:
10 > > On Wed September 21 2005 09:51 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
11 > >
12 > > > 1. For SATA RAID what cards and drives do you recommend for a desktop
13 > > > system running Gentoo. I will be doing some audio recording on a dual AMD
14 > > > 1.6 with 2 gig
15 > > > of memory
16 > >
17 > > I'm running several Seagate 200GB drives with the SATA controllers on the
18 > > Intel 915G boards I have. The driver is included with the kernel (ata_piix)
19 > > and I've had no problems with it. Linux treats it as a SCSI device. If
20 > > you're buying a separate card, you might want to check around for
21 > > availability and stability of the drivers first.
22 >
23 > It seems as if I'm having pretty much the same layout in several of my
24 > servers. Running Software Raid 1 on 200GB Seagate SATA drives. Worked
25 > out of the box with vanilla sources 2.6.12.5. I recommend using mdadm to
26 > build the array instead of using the older RAID tools described in the
27 > Gentoo Wiki.
30 > > In my experience, audio recording has relatively low hardware requirements
31 > > for today's machines, unless you're trying to do some heaving
32 > > encoding/compressing on-the-fly.
33 > >
34 > > > 2. If I went with SATA how much does using software RAID and LVM hurt me?
35 > >
36 > > That depends on what you mean by RAID (0, 1, 5, etc.) and what you want out
37 > > of it. I have two 200GB SATA drives setup with LVM's striping and the read
38 > > and write throughput is considerably faster (benchmarked and perceived) than
39 > > with one drive.
40 > >
41 > > > 3. Anything else I should know?
42 > >
43 > > Your choice of file system may make as much of a difference as anything.
44 > > Consider running tests if you aren't married to one already.
45 > >
46 > > --
47 > > Ron
48 > --