From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: basic trouble with sendmail config
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 13:57:20
1 John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Well, you have several issues, looks like procmail executable does not
4 > have correct permissions, should be
5 > -rwsr-s--x 1 root root
6 > or at least this is the way I have it.
7
8 The issue with procmail was that it was not even installed... Suprised
9 me at first but this is a rather new install and hadn't gotten that
10 done yet.
11
12 Anyway, once emerged /usr/bin/procmail has the same permissions as you posted.
13
14 > If you need to send out on port 587, you need to enable starttls by
15 > generating a cert, or getting one from somewhere, defining the
16 > mechanisms and other things. I think once you get that done things
17 > will work, or you will be able to figure it out easily.
18
19 For anyone stumbling on this thread looking for sendmail info I post
20 the following, and to conclude our thread.
21
22 I see the sendmail sources do have CACerts file in top level of the
23 unpacked sources. Maybe that is what folks use. Also there is some
24 explanation in one of the READMEs as well but still was not at all
25 clear what really needed doing.... but actually:
26
27 I dodged the issue altogether and swiched my smart host from
28 smtp.gmail.com (which demands STARTTLS) to smtp.newsguy.com. So when
29 sending to a gmail address now newsguy takes care of whatever it is
30 with Certs.
31
32 Should have tried that sooner... but there was enough other stuff
33 wrong that probably wouldn't have worked yet anyway.
34
35 All working for now. Sending works, even to gmail addresses. And
36 others work. Logs show no problems.
37
38 Thanks for the help.