From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] almost free launch: an idea to lower build time, and rice, at the same time
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 09:05:31
1 On 05/11/19 15:05, Mickaël Bucas wrote:
2 > I remember reading an article about a man trying to reproduce binary
3 > packages of a binary distribution and failing to do so, because there
4 > are so many parts involved. I've read later that distributions have
5 > done some work to have reproducible builds, but I'm not sure how
6 > successful they are, even when all choices are predefined.
7
8 It gets worse ... a major cause of two consecutive compiles on the same
9 system not agreeing is that a lot of this contains date stamps etc.
10
11 Reproducible builds are coming along, but they've got to analyze out or
12 remove all the compile time info that ends up in the binary. They're
13 coming because they're needed for security purposes.
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol