From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted drive setup at login and locking on logout.
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 11:02:21
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 5:05 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > It also makes the point that any adminstrator will have access to the sticks data - not just the user (same as root under Linux).
4
5 This is just a fundamental issue about how computers work. If you
6 attach your storage media to a computer, then potentially anybody who
7 had either physical access or administrative access to that computer
8 before you can read the storage media. If it is encrypted and you
9 enter the decryption key into the computer, then that includes the
10 encrypted data too.
11
12 There are of course operating systems that try to make this sort of
13 thing harder, but there are many ways to bypass this sort of thing at
14 either the hardware or software level. If you are plugging your USB
15 drive into a computer you don't control, you really have no way to
16 know what hardware or software it is using. It could contain hardware
17 keyloggers, the OS might be tampered with, if the device is supposed
18 to prevent OS tampering you don't know if the hardware was swapped out
19 with hardware that doesn't prevent tampering, and so on. This is why
20 things like hardware password/key managers often implement a
21 minimalistic serial/keyboard interface - to prevent the host they are
22 plugged into from actually being able to directly access their secure
23 storage.
24
25 I realize that you already said that this is your own hardware - I
26 just wanted to point out this fundamental limitation. This is one of
27 the reasons that when I select laptops/tablets I tend to select ones
28 that are very light/portable - the more likely I am to have it with me
29 the less likely I am to need to access my private data from systems I
30 don't control.
33 Rich