From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 13:06:36
1 On 26/02/2022 11:07, Dale wrote:
2 > Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
3 >> Hello list,
4 >>
5 >> I'm a sort-of newbie gentoo user and I just wanted to ask if what I'm
6 >> thinking is possible or if I'm just being stupid. But either way, I was
7 >> wondering if it is possible to export a list of all installed software
8 >> in emerge and use that to recreate on another gentoo install.
9 >>
10 >> I have a bunch of PCs that are all similarly specced and I wanted to
11 >> create a minimal install "template" for all of them. If not, would it be
12 >> possible to pipe-in to emerge from stdin an output of all of the package
13 >> names that I wanted it to emerge?
14 >>
15 >> I'm really sorry if this might be a stupid question. I'd appreciate any
16 >> guidance in the matter.
17 >>
18 >> Cheers!
21 > There is a file that contains all the packages you have installed.  It
22 > is located here:
23 >
24 > /var/lib/portage/world
25 >
26 > One could copy that file to another system and do a emerge @world to
27 > install the same list of packages.  Depending on what all you have
28 > installed, it could confuse emerge and not be doable.  In the past, I
29 > had a copy of the file and I emerged them a few at a time.  It's worth
30 > trying by just coping the file tho.  It just might work.
31
32 Someone a while ago gave me a tip along the lines of
33
34 emerge < /var/lib/portage/world
35
36 I was building a new system and they said this was a good way of getting
37 the new system to have the same packages as the old one. Mind you, I
38 think I'd now rather just print off @world and be choosy in what I
39 re-emerge.
40
41 Oh - and for quite a while I used the -b -k flags a lot, mostly emerging
42 on the slower system actually then installing the binary on the fast
43 one. Sounds odd, but the faster, newer system had a habit of crashing
44 during an emerge ... Both systems now gone to the Computer Centre in the
45 Sky :-)
46
47 Cheers,
48 Wol