From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need to install new packages during upgrade?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:05:34
1 On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:34:42 +0000 (UTC)
2 Holger Hoffstätte <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:21:35 +0300, Gevisz wrote:
5 >
6 > > I have just tried to upgrade my system (which I do almost every
7 > > day) and found out that portage wants to install 6 new python
8 > > packages that seem to be unnecessary because for example
9 > > # equery depends dev-python/pyopenssl
10 > > reports that no other package depends on this one.
11 >
12 > ..*at the moment*.
13
14 I expected something like this.
15
16 > In this case pyopenssl is required for ssl-fetch,
17 > which - at least here - is used by e.g. layman.
18
19 Yes, I have layman installed (though do not use it actually).
20
21 > One or more new packages can also come in as part of an update,
22 > e.g. when that package gains new capabilities. I suspect in your
23 > case that's mirrorselect.
24
25 Not exactly got it, but ok. :)
26
27 > Unless you start emerging random packages by yourself (thereby adding
28 > them to @world) portage usually does the right thing.
29
30 I hope. :)
31