From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: access Linux "X" from android tablet
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 16:04:53
1 On 2012-11-04, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > It will work if you have an X-server on your Android tablet.
4 >
5 > But I doubt you have an X-Server on your Android tablet.
6 >
7 > Are you understanding what I am saying? Do you know what an X-server is?
8 >
9 > It is not VNC, RDP, nx, newmachine or anything else; it is itself, the
10 > thing that KDE and Gnome run on.
11 >
12 > Android does not ship with an X-server.
13 >
14 >> But even if it did, it would be very, very slow.
15 >
16 > Not necessarily.
17
18 Not for trivial applications like xterm. But if that's all you need
19 then an ssh client like connectbot is _way_ simpler.
20
21 While xterm will work fine, in my experience anything built on a
22 modern GUI "desktop" is utterly useless over any connection slower
23 than 100MB. Starting up something like Thunderbird over a 2MB remote
24 connection takes forever (minutes). Every mouse action takes several
25 seconds to register. Keystrokes take many seconds to process. The
26 authors of modern X frameworks have decided do depend on the
27 assumption that the X server is local and a few thousand round-trips
28 between client and server in order to handle a single user input event
29 can be handled in an instant and therefore isn't something to worry
30 about.
33 Grant