From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging Gnome and KDE
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:24:40
1 On Friday 26 January 2007 18:19, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2
3 > I'd start by emerging cairo with the X flag set
4 >
5 > # USE="X" emerge cairo
6
7 Of all the ways to do it, this has to be the worst.
8
9 Portage has no idea in the future that cairo was emerged with X
10 functionality enabled, and it causes vast amounts of problems. Please
11 do not advise such a stupid broken solution to someone who is so
12 obviously a Gentoo beginner.
13
14 Fabricio, the way to solve your problem is to tell the Gentoo package
15 system (portage) to compile cairo with support for X. There are two
16 ways:
17
18 a) Tell portage to put X into your USE flags. The gentoo install docs
19 describe this in detail so I won't repeat it here, except to say that
20 you include the phrase "X" in the USE statement in /etc/make.conf
21
22 b) You can enable this flag just for the cairo package by adding this
23 line to the end of /etc/portage/package.use:
24
25 x11-libs/cairo X
26
27 Next time your emerge cairo, it will include X support for cairo and
28 this problem will go away. Obviously there is a whole lot to know about
29 this, so you really really really need to go and read the Gentoo
30 install docs and understand them all. You need to do it right now, OK?>
31
32 alan
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list