From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 20:19:10
1 On 2018-01-19, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 01/19/2018 12:48 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
4 >> mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
5 >> than one connection at a time.
6 >
7 > Grant E. has indicated elsewhere in the thread that his
8 > /usr/bin/sendmail script is speaking something custom to the
9 > destination mail server.
10 >
11 > Read: /usr/bin/sendmail script is NOT speaking SMTP.
12
13 Yes. I should have been more clear about that.
14
15 > Do you know what protocol(s) that Grant E.'s /usr/bin/sendmail script is
16 > speaking? Do you know if ssmtp (et al) support it?
17
18 It involves doing things remotely using the ssh-2 protocol.
19
20 > I feel like Grant E. has not revealed enough information to know if
21 > other things can speak what ever custom communications is possible
22 > between the SMTP server and the destination mail server. He has
23 > only revealed enough to know that it is custom, and that his
24 > /usr/bin/sendmail interface script must be used.
25
26 Yes, I have assumed that normal MTAs like sendmail and postfix do not
27 implement the ssh protocol and can't be made to do what my
28 /usr/bin/sendmail script does.
29
30 > I don't think there is enough information to know that ssmtp / postfix /
31 > exim / sendmail / et al are capable of speaking the protocols that Grant
32 > E. needs or wants.
33
34 I am confident they do not, but I'm not going to go into details on
35 how the ssh-protocol-based delivery works.
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! This PIZZA symbolizes
39 at my COMPLETE EMOTIONAL
40 gmail.com RECOVERY!!