From: Tim Garton <garton.tim@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server installation
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:56:16
1 I've thought about doing this sort of thing in the past and I think it would
2 be pretty tricky if you want to do this completely remotely. (meaning not
3 using an installation cd) This is how I thought about doing it:
4
5 Resize the partitions on your current hosting server to free up enough space
6 to create a temporary partition to install gentoo to. So for example if
7 your current setup is the following running redhat:
8 /dev/sda1 - /boot (256MB)
9 /dev/sda2 - swap (1GB)
10 /dev/sda3 - / (80GB redhat)
11
12 you would want to resize so you can do the following:
13 /dev/sda1 - /boot (256MB)
14 /dev/sda2 - swap (1GB)
15 /dev/sda3 - / (75GB redhat)
16 /dev/sda4 - /mnt/gentoo (5GB temp to install gentoo to)
17
18 then you basically follow the handbook instructions as though you have
19 already booted from the minimal installation cd and install gentoo to
20 /mnt/gentoo, but don't reformat the /dev/sda1 partition. Then, rather than
21 emerging grub, just modify your existing /boot/grub/menu.1st and add a
22 default entry for booting off of /dev/sda4 for gentoo. Reboot and you
23 should boot into your new temporary gentoo installation on /dev/sda4. You
24 can now get rid of /dev/sda1-3, create new partitions however you like
25 (excluding the 5GB /dev/sda4 which you are currently running off of) format
26 them, and follow the handbook instructions as though you just booted from
27 the minimal installation cd. Once you've done this and rebooted into your
28 newly installed gentoo, you can delete /dev/sda4 and recapture that space to
29 whatever partition you really installed gentoo to.
30
31 The problem I see with this is you would be editing the fs tables of a drive
32 you are currently running off of. If that doesn't work I guess you could
33 set up a boot option that uses a RAM filesystem for the root /, and then you
34 wouldn't be running off of any drives and could therefore fdisk to your
35 hearts content. Whatever you decide, you should probably do a test run on a
36 box you have locally, since one screwup means you or someone else is going
37 to have to physically be at the hosted server to fix it.
38
39 Tim
40