From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FreeBSD migration, what to do with /usr/local
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:09:10
1 On 2017-10-12 07:11, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2
3 > You could possibly copy Gentoo scripts to /usr/local/gentoo-scripts,
4 > or would that not work with your scripts as set up?
5 >
6 > You would have to be careful setting up your PATH in .profile and
7 > /etc/profile , to make sure it includes the proper LOCALBASE.
8
9 But this is not enough: this is exactly what I mean in my penultimate
10 paragraph. What about cron, for example? I think the Linux crons put
11 /usr/local/{bin,sbin} in the PATH of the jobs. Now I have to worry
12 about the new location also being included.
13
14 Similarly with ssh (when not interactive, so .profile is not read), and
15 so on yada yada.
18 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
19 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
20 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.