From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FreeBSD migration, what to do with /usr/local
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:09:10
On 2017-10-12 07:11, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> You could possibly copy Gentoo scripts to /usr/local/gentoo-scripts, > or would that not work with your scripts as set up? > > You would have to be careful setting up your PATH in .profile and > /etc/profile , to make sure it includes the proper LOCALBASE.
But this is not enough: this is exactly what I mean in my penultimate paragraph. What about cron, for example? I think the Linux crons put /usr/local/{bin,sbin} in the PATH of the jobs. Now I have to worry about the new location also being included. Similarly with ssh (when not interactive, so .profile is not read), and so on yada yada. -- Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet, if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup. Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.