From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To emerge -e world or not to emerge -e world?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:09:34
1 Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 14:24 -0400 schrieb Matt Randolph:
2 > I know that upgrading glibc can cause some programs to break if they
3 > were built against the previous glibc. This happens to me all the time
4 > and I have gotten in the habit of simply re-emerging any packages that
5 > misbehave since a glibc upgrade.
6 >
7 > Well, I have upgraded both glibc and gcc within the last week or so.
8 > And I've been contemplating a kernel upgrade too. I looked at genlop
9 > and it said it will take a mere fourteen hours to re-emerge everything
10 > with an emerge -e world. I'm tempted to do it, but I'm wary of making
11 > major changes to a system that currently seems to be working perfectly.
12 >
13 I don't think there's a simple yes or no answer to this problem. And I
14 am sure there's a lot of people who had their troubles with re-emerging
15 an entire system.
16
17 I myself did never experience any severe troubles. Recently I set up a
18 new test-server for combined file-, print-, mail- and web-services. I
19 fiddled around with PAM, LDAP and other stuff and decided three times
20 over the testing period to run an emerge --newuse -e world. We're
21 talking here something like 180 packages including Samba, CUPS, Courier,
22 Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL and X. Maybe I was lucky but everything went
23 just fine.
24
25 I believe that the cleaner you're system is the better chances are that
26 your system will survive an emerge -e. What's a clean system for me: a
27 system that does not show any signs of misbehaviour and that carries -
28 if at all - just a minimum of unstable packages safely defined
29 in /etc/portage.
30
31 On the other hand: if we are talking here about a productive system in a
32 multi-user environment then "Never touch a running systems" rules by all
33 means! ;-)
34
35
36 --