From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: Nadav Har'El <nyh@××××××××××××××××.il>
Cc: ILUG <linux-il@××××××××××.il>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nested VMX support in qemu and kvm
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:03:26
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Nadav Har'El <nyh@××××××××××××××××.il>wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011, Kfir Lavi wrote about "Nested VMX support in qemu and
4 > kvm":
5 > > Hi,
6 >
7 > Wow, I didn't expect to see a discussion about nested VMX in linux-il?
8 > Any particular reason why you bring this up here, and not in the KVM
9 > mailing list?
10 >
11 > > I'm trying to use a nested vm, but whatever I do, no vmx flag is in
12 > > /proc/cpuinfo ?
13 > > qemu-kvm -cpu host
14 > > qemu-kvm -cpu host,+vmx
15 > > qemu-kvm -cpu qemu64,+vmx
16 >
17 > As you can see in my original announcement, and also in
18 > Documentation/virtual/kvm/nested-vmx.txt, nested VMX is still considered
19 > experimental, and therefore must be enabled explictly not just in qemu
20 > (which you did correctly) but also in the kernel module: you must load
21 > the kvm-intel module as:
22 >
23 > insmod kvm-intel.ko nested=1
24 >
25 > Since you didn't mention doing this, is it possible you forgot?
26 >
27 > If you get an error with the above insmod, it means you are using an old
28 > version of KVM which didn't yet support nested VMX. Nested VMX was only
29 > recently integrated with the main tree.
30 >
31 > > I'm running Gentoo with kernel 3.0.4 and
32 >
33 > I'm not sure what exactly 3.0.4 contains, but it might be too old to
34 > contain nested VMX. Linux 3.0's cutoff date was already several months
35 > ago, so I believe nested VMX only made it to Linux 3.1, not 3.0.
36 >
37 > Like I said, if insmod with "nested=1" fails, then you have too old
38 > a module. You can get a newer kernel directly from the KVM repository.
39 >
40 > Yes you right, kernel linux-3.1-rc4 has this patch, and using the nested=1
41
42 parameter I'm able to use nested vmx.
43 It is a really useful feature.
44 (more info is in Documentation/virtual/kvm/nested-vmx.txt)
45
46 Send my regards to the ppl in your team at IBM Hifa,
47 Kfir
48
49 > > I did saw some emails and patches on the net from Orit, Avi and Nadav
50 > about
51 > > nested vmx support,
52 > > but it doesn't seems to work for me.
53 >
54 > After 11 (!) rounds of discussions spanning more than a year, Avi accepted
55 > these patches and nested VMX is now part of the main KVM tree. So please
56 > use the main KVM tree, not any of the old patches you find on the net, if
57 > you can.
58 >
59 > Good luck,
60 > Nadav.
63 > --
64 > Nadav Har'El | Tuesday, Sep 6 2011, 7 Elul
68 > Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |An egotist is a person of low taste,
69 > more
70 > http://nadav.harel.org.il |interested in himself than in me.
71 >