From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best file system for portage tree?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:43:37
1 YoYo Siska writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 03:35:05PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > > I use an ext2 filesystem for portage, it's still the fastest out
6 > > there. Journals are unnecessary because its such a small filesystem,
7 > > and if it does get damaged I can just reformat and sync again.
8
9 Replaying a reiserfs journal in case of an unclean reboot also takes about
10 the same time as an whole e2fsck, so I switched to ext2. There was no
11 real need to make the switch, I just wanted to re-create this file system
12 that has been synced very often now.
13
14 > I use an ext2 partition in a 500MB file image on most of my computers.
15
16 I also did this in the past, on systems where I did not use LVM. Nowadays
17 I prefer the latter.
18
19 > Its important to check the inode count on such small filesytem, as
20 > mke2fs' default inode ration for such size is 4096, which is too
21 > low for portage:
22
23 Yes, happened to me more than once...
24
25 > mke2fs -f -b1024 -i2048 /usr/img_portage
26
27 That's what I did. Well, without the container file.
28
29 Thanks to all who replied! I learnt something, like so often when reading
30 here.
31
32 Wonko