From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: installation cd for P1 & P2
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 15:08:08
1 Ian Hilt <ian.hilt <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2>
7 So you are saying (implying) that i586 and k6 machines can use the 2008.0.beta2
8 minimum CD for installation? What about all of those old drivers that are often
9 removed from the newer minimal CDs? This can lead to many false starts on the
10 installation process.
11
12 I've usually had to use 2006 CD for such installs:
13 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061127-newsletter.xml
16 As these installs take a while, which I do not mind, but, having to
17 make 3 or 4 stabs at the installation per machine, is painful. Every time I
18 install one it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get things right. GNAP would
19 be ideal, but it's not scheduled for a facelift until the "summer of coding"
20 work is complete
21
22 I'm only using the machines for minimal tasks such as primary/secondary
23 name service, firewalls and small mail servers....
26 James
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list