From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:15:04
1 On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
2 > Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
3 >
4 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
5 > > On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
6 > > > Hi,
7 > > >
8 > > > My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
9 > > > linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
10 > > > blocks.
11 > >
12 > > it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
13 > > it is working 'without problems'.
14 >
15 > Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
16 > 1MB,
17
18 1 block = 512byte. So you have ca 2000 bad blocks. That is A LOT.
21 > windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
22 > see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
23 >
24 > If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
25 > use this disk?
26
27 maybe they ignore things like a reported size of 0 and no sense.
30 > Well.. I've backed up data from it already.
31
32 then throw it away. That disk will fail completely soon.