From: ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:55:35
1 On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:55:59 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:39:47PM +0900, Mike Mazur wrote
5 >
6 > > CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
7 >
8 > The -march option may or may not invoke mmx, sse, sse2, etc in the
9 > CFLAGS line but it definitely does *NOT* invoke them in the USE
10 > variable.
11 >
12 > > USE="gtk gtk2 gnome -apm -eds -emboss -gstreamer -qt -qt3 -qt4 -kde
13 > > -ldap -arts -esd -oss -xv X a52 aac acpi alsa avahi bash-completion
14 > > bluetooth cdr cjk crypt dbus dvd dvdr exif firefox gphoto hal ipod
15 > > jpeg mbox mp3 nptl nptlonly ogg opengl png pulseaudio spell ssl
16 > > startup-notification svg theora tiff vorbis wifi xinerama"
17 >
18 > I have mmx, sse, sse2, and a few AMD-specific options in my USE
19 > variable. Can you show us the output of the command...
20 >
21 > grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
22 >
23 > Then we can see what to add. If you are *NOT* taking advantage of
24 > the available extensions, you won't get the available oomph out of
25 > your cpu. It's not so much a matter of raw speed as ability to do
26 > complex calculations in the chipset microcode, rather than painfully
27 > emulating it in software. One of the features of Gentoo is
28 > customizing your build to get the most out of your cpu. Use it...
29 > within reason.
30 >
31 > mplayer also takes a few custom flags. In /etc/portage/package.use
32 > I have the entry
33 >
34 > media-video/mplayer custom-cflags i8x0 real 3dnowext mmxext
35 >
36 > With an Intel cpu, you obviously don't want "3dnowext", but there
37 > may be other stuff worth using. To find out what's available, use...
38 >
39 > grep mplayer /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc | less
40 >
41 True as that is, is think it's kind a of the point. I have been using
42 mplayer to see movies since k7-2(I think it as a k7-2 don't remember
43 for sure). I've seldom got the error about CPU being to slow and always
44 it was another reason for mplayer not being able to play it. I would
45 rather say you should look in mplayer -vo help and try different
46 drivers until you get the one it suites you. If you have a 3d card
47 choose gl or gl2, if not xv. Also please check that you have setup
48 preperly the graphics card.
49 --
50 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list