From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 05:12:58
1 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >> > I was thinking: is it feasible, to "precalculate" the dependency tree?
3 >>
4 >> I thought that's what the portage cache does, as far as it can.
5 >
6 > Well, AFAIK, portage needs to kind of simulate everything going on in an
7 > ebuild to get the list of dependencies/blockers... If this can be
8 > 'pre-simulated' resulting in a simpler to parse 'database' of
9 > dependencies...
10
11 This *is* the portage cache: Execute e.g.
12 cat /usr/portage/metadata/md5-cache/sys-apps/portage-9999
13 You see that DEPEND, RDEPEND, PDEPEND are readily available.
14 If metadata/md5-cache should not be up-to-date (e.g. if you
15 use an overlay without that data and without calling egencache),
16 portage generates a similar cache in /var/cache/edb/dep
17 (checksums and/or filestamps are used to verify that the
18 caches are up-to-date - this also takes somewhat time but
19 not very much and cannot be avoided to guarantee correct behaviour).