From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What causes a package to be brought in during a big emerge?
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 02:37:19
1 On 09/26/2009 04:05 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I've done an:
4 >
5 > "emerge --pretend -NuD world"
6 >
7 > and whilst reviewing the output, it lists an old package that I played
8 > around with in the past but now no longer need. In turn I do:
9 >
10 > "emerge -C oldPackageNoLongerNeeded"
11 >
12 > the package is removed and I in turn do another
13 >
14 > "emerge --pretend -NuD world"
15 >
16 > but "oldPackageNoLongerNeeded" is still there, although emerge tells me
17 > its now gone from "U" to "N" ie Update to New. I've fired up "ufed" and
18 > removed what I thought would be the appropriate USE tag, run the emerge
19 > again and it's still there. I've tried:
20 >
21 > "equery depends oldPackageNoLongerNeeded"
22 >
23 > and it lists nothing as needing "oldPackageNoLongerNeeded"
24
25 "equery depends" won't list anything unless the package is question is
26 installed.
29 > I've looked through the emerge help and nothing springs to mind as
30 > telling me why "oldPackageNoLongerNeeded" is being brought in.
31 >
32 > So after that rambling intro, is there a package/utility that will tell
33 > me, when in this situation, what package needs
34 > "oldPackageNoLongerNeeded" and why it is being brought into my emerge.
35
36 Yes, the package that will tell you is "emerge" itself. Use its "-t"
37 option to get a dep-graph of why something is getting emerged. Also,
38 you can use its "-v" option if you want to see if the package comes from
39 some overlay.
40
41 Furthermore, *after* "emerge -C oldPackageNoLongerNeeded", do:
42
43 grep oldPackageNoLongerNeeded /var/lib/portage/world
44
45 to see if it's still listed in the world file. If yes, remove all
46 traces of it (you can simply edit this world file with a text editor,
47 it's safe, but of course you might still want to make a backup of it.)