From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: chkrootkit LKM trojan ?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:06:17
1 On Monday 17 July 2006 21:35, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:36:30 +0100
5 >
6 > Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net> wrote:
7 > > How accurate is chkproc?
8 > > If you run chkproc on a server that runs lots of short time processes it
9 > > could report some false positives. chkproc compares the ps output with
10 > > the /proc contents. If processes are created/killed during this operation
11 > > chkproc could point out these PIDs as suspicious.
12 > >
13 > > That fits in with the fact that chkrootkit & rkhunter now report clean (&
14 > > also fits in with someone tinkering from the inside !)
15 >
16 > The problem I see here is that you can't expect chkrootkit to find
17 > something when scanning from a clean base (Live-CD) when the only hint
18 > you had was an alert from chkproc. You probably would have gotten the
19 > alert from chkrootkit in the first place. chkproc inspects the
20 > currently running system (and the /proc for the currently running
21 > kernel). I.e. if it has no signature for the rootkit itself, it can't
22 > find it again from that "clean" kernel.
23 >
24 > Do you have the possibility to monitor internet connections on an
25 > intermediary gateway? I think monitoring it for a few days would give
26 > you a better hint if there might be something active.
27 >
28 > And there are other things to think about. Do you have a webserver
29 > running?
30 Nope
31
32 > CGI scripts?
33 Nope
34
35 > PHP applications?
36 Nope
37
38 > Do you have other network
39 > reachable services?
40
41 Nope none outside of my LAN
42 > > Were you running a firewall?
43
44 Yep - a netgear router firewall, NAT & state aware
45 >
46 > The past kernel bugs had very early exploit scripts. It is really a
47 > no-brainer to insert a rootkit if something lets you, say, write a
48 > script to /tmp and call it by exploitable buffer overflows, badly
49 > written CGI...
50 >
51 > And remember that there's (nearly) no possibility for a positive proof
52 > of the non-existence of a root kit.
53
54 I am now seriously considering installing tripwire - To be sure of a clean
55 tripwire database I know it means a clean install ... gulp ...
58 > -hwh
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list