From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best audio system?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 05:57:39
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 28/02/12 04:30, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:07:21PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>>> Isn't dmix pretty much automatic in als these days? I suspect that's
7 >>>>>> how KDE supports multiple audio streams by default.
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Yep, I think it's automatic since alsa 1.0.9 or so.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Yeah, when you wrote dmix the light turned on about how KDE (and I
14 >>>> suspect most desktop managers) is likely doing it.
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>> GNOME uses PulseAudio by default, and since 3.0 is actually mandatory.
18 >>> I believe Xfce uses PA also, and (please, tell me if I'm wrong) KDE
19 >>> also by default uses PA.
22 >> KDE has the phonon layer, which features a PA useflag, but also a flag for
23 >> gstreamer and vlc.
26 > These are not related though.  PA is not a substitute for gstreamer or vlc.
27
28 Indeed, but both GStreamer and VLC can run on top of PulseAudio. They
29 can also (of course) run on top of ALSA, but then you loose all the
30 nice things PA provides. At least with GStreamer (directly on top of
31 ALSA) you don't get per-application volume, seamlessly changing sound
32 cards or easy integration with USB soundcards and bluetooth headsets;
33 I don't use VLC, but I believe is the same.
34
35 ALSA is the bottom of the stack, PulseAudio goes above it, and then
36 you can have GStreamer, VLC, ffmpeg, Xine-lib or whatever, which are
37 the high-level libraries. All of the high-level libraries cantalk to
38 ALSA directly; but none of them provide by themselves the features
39 that PulseAudio has.
40
41 Regards.
42 --