From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:27:57
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > You should've tried installing MS Office back then...
3 > 45 (Or there-abouts) floppies and the installer asking for them in a
4 > random order. With some of those being asked several times...
5 >
6 > The guy asking for it paid a lot for it, so it wasn't too bad. ;)
7
8 I had to install Lotus Smart Suite on dozens of computers, it was
9 about 70 floppies IIRC. That became really fun when I suspected
10 someone had a virus, which infects every disk inserted... this was
11 before antivirus software was common. At home, on an OS/2 machine, I
12 dialed up the McAfee BBS and downloaded their AV program, made a
13 virus-free bootable floppy, set it read-only, and took it to work.
14 Nearly every computer, every disk, in offices covering half of the
15 USA, were infected with the Monkey.B virus. I proceeded to disinfect
16 hundreds of floppy disks at the offices where I worked for the rest of
17 the week. Fun. :)