From: Ricardo Saffi Marques <saffi@××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching CPU's -- what strange things do I need?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:42:46
1 Well, I'd change my CFLAGS, for sure, so that I'd get all the benefits of
2 having that better processor. What's your profile: x86 or x86_64 (amd64)?
3
4 For your processor, according to http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags (that I
5 always like to check):
6
7 > Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad / Xeon 51xx/53xx
8 >
9 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
10 > cpu family : 6
11 > model : 15
12 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU XXXX @ XXXGHz
13 >
14 > *32 bit profile (x86)*
15 >
16 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
17 > CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
18 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
19 >
20 > *64 bit profile (amd64)*
21 >
22 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
23 > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
24 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
25 >
26 > *Note:*
27 >
28 > - GCC 4.3 has -march=core2[1]<http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.3/changes.html>,
29 > but Gentoo has nothing above 4.2 in portage.
30 >
31 > So, I'd change my make.conf to one of those (again, depending of your
32 profile). And after that, even though some things may need a revdep-rebuild
33 and it may take a while, why not emerge -e world?
34
35 Regards,
36
37 Saffi