From: David Busby <busby@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] initrd and raid
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:34:00
1 List,
2 I've got a Super Micro P4SCT+ that uses the Marvell SATA controller that Linux doesn't know out-of-the-box. There
3 was the mv_sata module provided by ABit that I found, and it compiles and loads into my 2.6.12 kernel. I can see the
4 drives and have made a raid out of them no problem. I'm currently booting off the Intel SATA in the machine from
5 /dev/sda The other drives are /dev/sdb,c,d. OK, so what I want to do is this: Remove the current /dev/sda and bump
6 the /dev/sdb,c,d each up by one and then boot of them. /dev/sdb1,c1,d1 are set as RAID0+hotspare and configured/grub-ed
7 etc. What I can't do is get the initrd to work. I've added the module and can see when it boots that it finds those
8 devices but then it looks like it cannot see my devices. I get a Kernel Panic not init found, then it says to try
9 passing init= to the kernel. I don't understand that, what must I do? I'm using udev so perhaps when the kernel is
10 booting it cannot see my devices in /dev ? Other google searches show that might be the case. One set of google
11 results pointing to gentoo-user about udev and initrd said "don't use initrd, build the module into the kernel". I
12 can't do that with a 3rd party module can I?
13
14 Here's the story about my install so far (incomplete)
15 http://www.edoceo.com/liber/marvell-sata.php
16
17 /djb
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list